Welcome to issue 316 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from January 18 to 31, 2015
After doing more than 150 of these, I have come to the conclusion that it is time for me to take a permanent break from HWN. I realize that "we could do better", and have something a bit more edited than a collection of links, and some quotes. I wish I had more time to devote to such endeavor, but my time is currently being taken up by trying to help my 1 year old explore her little world.
If you'd like to be the one to continue the long tradition of HWN, drop me a line.
Thanks for following along for the last 3 years!
Quotes of the Week
- johnw: "Sir, what weapon did the assailant use against you?" "All I know is that it was done in IO, officer."
- monochrom: $ can't buy you love, but it can buy you function application
- hiptobecubic: benzrf, well sure. I'm not suggesting that lens has actually left any operators available for anything
Top Reddit Stories
- I think I've nailed it! I've solved the records problem!. From (nikita-volkov.github.io), scored 348 with 193 comments.
- Use Haskell for shell scripting. From (haskellforall.com), scored 121 with 62 comments.
- Major Prelude changes proposed. From (haskell.org), scored 119 with 252 comments.
- Slides from Don Stewart's Google tech talk. From (code.haskell.org), scored 104 with 75 comments.
- Haskell Design Patterns: .Extended Modules. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 86 with 29 comments.
- IO Monad Considered Harmful. From (blog.jle.im), scored 86 with 157 comments.
- We are making great efforts to spread Haskell around our local programming groups. Today, I finally saw a Haskell post, so I'm glad it is kinda working. Kinda.. From (i.imgur.com), scored 86 with 41 comments.
- My Haskell tooling wishlist by Chris Done. From (chrisdone.com), scored 77 with 27 comments.
- Categories for Programmers: Functors. From (bartoszmilewski.com), scored 70 with 14 comments.
- I wrote another monad tutorial. Sorry.. From (kevinmahoney.co.uk), scored 63 with 22 comments.
- Solving the expression problem with Object Algebras and Tagless Interpreters. From (oleksandrmanzyuk.wordpress.com), scored 59 with 30 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why do we need monads? votes: 142, answers: 5
- Why compiling this Haskell program with -fllvm produces a different result? votes: 19, answers: 0
- What is the difference between traits in Rust and typeclasses in Haskell? votes: 18, answers: 0
- Motivation behind Phantom Types? votes: 17, answers: 3
- What is the precedence of ~, and why? votes: 17, answers: 1
- Using GHC API to compile Haskell sources to CORE and CORE to binary votes: 13, answers: 2
- How to ship an executable with Language.Haskell.Interpreter? votes: 13, answers: 0
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz