Welcome to issue 247 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of September 30 to October 6, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: 98% of people lack the property that they're members of the other 2%
- ManuelChakravarty: We used to say, "Learn Haskell, it makes you a better Java programmer." Now we say, "Learn Agda, it makes you a better Haskell programmer."
- Cale: data Nature a = Rock a | Stream (Nature a) | Bush (Nature a) (Nature a)
- rwbarton: type inference is supposed to be the compiler's job, not the reader's job
- ShelSilverstein: Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Jane. She wants a drink of water so she waits and waits and waits and waits and waits for it to rain.
- Cale: We're up to 950 users which apparently means that any beginner question is now answered by 4 people.
- YayMe: When I first started playing with haskell I could barely sleep for 2 days because of how confused it made me
- EvanLaforge: Then we can tell them about how we had to walk in the snow both ways uphill fighting space leaks with bare hands while they just have to read about it.
- nand: every time I try arguing semantics, I come to the conclusion that every word is the exact same thing and refers to anything
- bfig: i have been reborn as a haskell programer after finding Debug.Trace
Top Reddit Stories
- Factorization diagrams. From (mathlesstraveled.com), scored 82 with 11 comments.
- The New Cloud Haskell. From (well-typed.com), scored 73 with 21 comments.
- GHC HEAD now features Agda-like Holes. From (hpaste.org), scored 66 with 43 comments.
- FizzBuzz Revisited using Monoids. From (dave.fayr.am), scored 55 with 68 comments.
- Which advanced Haskell topics interest you? (Survey). From (docs.google.com), scored 39 with 12 comments.
- A fast new SipHash implementation. From (serpentine.com), scored 34 with 8 comments.
- Communication Patterns in Cloud Haskell (Part 1): master-slave, work-stealing and work-pushing. From (well-typed.com), scored 33 with 10 comments.
- Category and lenses. From (web.jaguarpaw.co.uk), scored 28 with 2 comments.
- Yesod Tutorial 1 at FP Complete. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 28 with 15 comments.
- The usual type signatures for foldl and foldr are confusing. From (self.haskell), scored 27 with 63 comments.
- Haskell Symposium 2012 (with youtube links). From (haskell.org), scored 27 with 1 comments.
- Solving a Partial Differential Equation Comonadically. From (idontgetoutmuch.wordpress.com), scored 27 with 2 comments.
- Need a math related Haskell project suggestion. From (self.haskell), scored 22 with 20 comments.
- Algebraically Interpreting Polymorphism. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 21 with 12 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why is seq bad? votes: 18, answers: 1
- Can I speed up this Haskell algorithm? votes: 18, answers: 3
- Is there a library that uses ConstraintKinds to generalize all the base type classes to allow constraints? votes: 15, answers: 1
- What are skolems? votes: 15, answers: 2
- What does it usually mean when a Haskell record accessor leads with an underscore? votes: 14, answers: 3
- How does this piece of obfuscated Haskell code work? votes: 12, answers: 1
- How to implement a game loop in reactive-banana? votes: 12, answers: 1
- How do Haskell currying and pattern matching work together? votes: 9, answers: 1
- How does the constraints package work? votes: 9, answers: 1
- In haskell, What does :+: mean in data type definition? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Monad m => a -> [a -> m a] -> m a votes: 9, answers: 1
- How to decorate a Tree in Haskell votes: 7, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz